Not cut-out for the Rainforest
Generally speaking, I think I'm pretty good at adapting to poor conditions, unsanitary washrooms, the works. I wasn't prepared for the Daintree Rainforest though. There were several things wrong with my two day, 1 night journey in Cape Tribulation which came to a thankful end today. But nobody likes starting off on a negative note, so I'll first say that my Jungle Canopy Tour was a highlight. I was harnassed in (a thankful change to the wetsuits they favour over here) and went through a series of 5 stations, the last one being upsidedown. I almost knocked my glasses right off my head (a la Dad at the gas station) on platform #4- close call. What they didn't say in their brochure is that half of these are done in tandem, and being a recent solo traveler with both Tero and Mandy gone home, I was alllll by myselffffff (this Celine Dion song is set on repeat on my I.Pod. No, it's not but give me a few more days). This has been a bit of a sore spot for me, so I was feeling a bit sheepish about going at it solo again and it was highlighted when the guide said "you mean you're A-LONE? No FRI-ENDS?"
Going into the evening it began to poor rain, and I mean rain. We waited for hours just to make the trek back up the bullfrog laden pathway to our rustic huts. Heaven forbid you have to use the washroom in this insect haven in the middle of the night. FFWD to the next morning. Discover a forgotten apple with a large bite out of it in my favorite, newly acquired knapsack. Then the corresponding corner of the bag where the apple WAS had been completely chewed through by some sort of animal. How long have I been looking for a small pack with no frame and thus perfect to roll up and put in my larger bag when not in use? A long time. A crushing blow but also a disgusting one. What IS this creature? Was it still in there? Next realization - the almonds in my sturdy MEC man-bag. Eaten. Large hole in the corner. Whitney, please add on to your list New MEC bag for Leah. Lastly, my cashews in my large pack. Destroyed. After doing a much needed load of laundry tonight I've also discovered I'm one pair of underwear down as well. So the food wasn't enough?!
Looking forward to arriving in Alice Springs tomorrow where I will make my way up to Darwin, with a group of people for nine solid days. That will be heaven. Once I get through the initial "where are you from? When did you get here? What's your next stop?" I may not have to do it again for over a week!
Ok, enough winching out of me. Yes, that's my latest English word.

4 Comments:
I should have been following your blog more closely. I could have said hi when you were in Alice. I'm here working at Bojangles Saloon til september. Hope Darwin is awesome, let me know what I should see, I'm thinking of going before I head back to Canada
I'm super excited to deal with all the little bugs that will creep into my bed at night - awesome!
Andrew- that would have been so funny. Two countries we could have met up in! I walked by Bojangles a few times and it looked pretty good. I was just there pre and post Uluru and was already wiped. I did make it onto the dancefloor at Melanka's for a few but that's all. Take care!
Whit- oh boy. We'll have fun. Just remember this: I won't be the one to kill the bugs for you b/c I'll be just as scared. As long as you aren't like Mandy in Noosa saying "that is the biggest beetle I've ever seen" when it was a cockroach!
A little absent-minded Leah? We did meet up in two countries. You and your friend ran into me in Melbourne...
Post a Comment
<< Home