Three weeks left...
Team Canada and the Brighton Beach Huts


Melbourne has been a bit of a whirlwind. I only just arrived and I'm already on the countdown to my departure. It has been great - I'm quite glad I decided to come and live here, even if it was only for a brief 5 weeks. The work has been good but quite challenging when you show up as the 'new person' every shift. Two shifts in a row at the same hospital is a luxury and I know balk when I think I used to complain back home about being put in different specialities each day. At least it was always at the Lougheed!
The picture attached is of Brighton Beach, a short 30min train ride away on a not-so-pretty beach. These beach huts can be rented out during the summer season (strangely enough, it is Fall here and the leaves are most definitely turning red) and used as change facilities throughout the day.
Last Friday, I caught my first Aussie Football League game. A sort of mish-mash of football, rugby, basketball and soccer. It's a bit crazy to watch but surprisingly easy to follow, making it my kind of game! I went there with my Edmontonian roommate who is deserting me on Sunday for a slightly more tropical climate-Perth. And by roommate, I do mean she sleeps literally 4 feet away from me. I feel like I'm at a girl-guide camp sometimes because we've gotten into the habit of having nightly chats before we fall asleep. It's quite nice. This past Monday, two of our UK roommates set off as well, so the Canadian to UK ratio is now a comfortable 4:1. Gone forever are the nights we all spent, all seven of us, sitting in the family room anxiously awaiting the next elimination on The Biggest Loser. I think I will always associate that theme-song with Melbourne...
And now, since I've finally gotten everyone up to speed...I'm taking the week off because Tero is in town and we're off to the Great Ocean Road tomorrow. I like this formula- work two weeks, rest one. Work two weeks, rest and go to Asia x 2 months. Just kidding...well, actually, no I'm not!

4 Comments:
That's the way to do it. I'm following your example Leah. I will be moving to Dallas in June and have quit my job! WTF am I thinking!
I actually saw an Aussie Football Game on TV the other day... I found it hard to follow but the guys were hot.
Whit
Jon- WTF is right! When did all this happen? I wouldn't have pictured you as a Texan- you move from one western city to a substandard one...just kidding. Any change is a good change. Congrats :)
Freebie: if I can follow AFL, you can follow AFL. Trust me. Yes, they are a fairly attractive bunch. My favorite point in last wks game was when the ball was accidentally punted straight into the other player's head. Boy did I laugh. And then they REPLAYED it so I got to enjoy it once more! (and yes, I am a nurse. I realize this isn't the appropriate, sympathetic response I am programmed to reply!)
Post a Comment
<< Home