Leah's Aussie Experience

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Earplug Horror


South Bank Lagoon - Brisbane

Gearing up to leave the beautiful city of Brisbane today and fly to Cairns, where I shall embrace a sunny 26C day at my resort-style hostel, or so the brochures promise me.

The picture from above is Brisbane's answer to being one of the few Australian cities without a beach in the middle of it. When you don't have a beach readily available here, you make one. Hence- the lagoon. The water was freezing and when I was there, only a few Kiwi's were brave enough to wade in it.

I've officially started the beginning of three solid months of backpacking. Dorm life, labeling my food, carrying my shower sachet around - it's all back. My earplugs are a staple for me while traveling. They work so well, especially if no one steals them and hids them from you. However, these seemingly innocuous orange plugs harbour a fair amount of danger. In Calgary, I woke up on one occasion with a very dry mouth. For whatever reason (and the logic that accompanies 5am thoughts) I did a lifesaving style finger sweep of my mouth and produced two soggy earplugs from the depths of the oral cavity, lodged in the corner! So last night I fell asleep with one in my right ear and one in my hand. At the dangerous hour of 5am I was awakened by a strange sensation in my mouth. I had just dreamt that I had been holding this one grape for hours and it was high time that I ate it. I woke up as soon as it was in my mouth. I only have one 'fresh' set left and if I don't eat them, they should last me until Whitney can (please) replenish my stock out in Asia.

3 Comments:

At 4:57 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

try using marsh mellows as substitute for ear plugs! similar size, better taste, although hiding problem might not be solved further than September anyway...

 
At 5:22 p.m., Blogger leah said...

Cute. Very funny. If they were marshmallows I'd NEVER find them if they were stolen...they would be history.

 
At 10:02 a.m., Blogger The Experience said...

I'm still laughing at this and I first read your post a week ago. Perhaps you should try eating a snack before bed. Just a suggestion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home