Leah's Aussie Experience

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Saturday Afternoon


Yes, there are two kangaroos in this picture. Tight squeeze.


The Tasmanian Devil. Not cute OR charming, but an Australian trademark.


Ahhhhh. Need I say anything?

At last, a computer with a USB port! I've updated a few of the most recent posts with pictures I meant to scan in, but never had a chance to. The three from today are from last week's excursion to the Wildlife Park, but who can resist looking at a few of Australia's most famous creatures?

Melbourne is proving to be quite popular with me. I only wish I had a bit longer here to really soak it all up. Since I'm discussing 'wishes and wants' I'd also request a bit of warm weather. As you all back home welcome Spring into your lives with open arms, I am shopping for a matching toque, mitt and scarf set. In the Victoria region that Melbourne is based, they have already received fresh lots of snow on their ski resorts.

Began work last friday exactly one week after arriving here. I'll be at a different hospital practically all the time, so the excitement of 'Day One at a New Job' actually NEVER ENDS for me. I am not particularly enthused about this part of my work, but am hoping to make a good impression so that I can be requested to work at only a handle of local hospitals. I started this 'good impression' concept of mine on Friday and promptly got a needlestick injury. All turned out to be fine, but really! At least they won't be forgetting me or my memorable first day anytime soon!

The big highlight out in these parts is the Great Ocean Road, a winding, scenic drive that works it's way towards Adelaide over 300km. I'm not that ambious. Nor is Tero, who will be joining me here in Melbourne for a mini-vacation in early May. We enjoyed the thrill of driving on the 'other' side of the road so much in New Zealand that we thought we'd do it all again, and this time tackle Australia and the tram-infested roadways of Melbourne. Might be a little different than the one-lane, desolate highways we encountered in the South Island!

PS: Note to family. Idea for the heading of this blog entry came from your ever ingenious subject headings in the emails I receive from you...keep those creative juices flowing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home