Leah's Aussie Experience

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

4 more days...


A Crocodile on our nature cruise up near Darwin -

...until I go to Malaysia and will never have to worry about freezing to death here in Australia! One sleeping bag, two blankets, two hoody's (one on my head), my Nalgene 'hot water bottle' and I'm set for the night. Talk about planning! Have to quickly fill up the water bottle before 930pm when the kitchen closes, then trial it out for leaks, which involves placing the bottle on various places on my bunk and tipping it upside down for unfortunate spillage. I learned the hard way when I was overeager one night and popped it smack-dab in the center of my sleeping bag only to hop in to a wet sleeping bag. I've since further improvised with a sock cover and it is stellar.
Yesterday I gathered all my clothes and headed off to the washroom to change. Note: people in Australia assume I mean 'laundry' when I ask where the washroom is. Perhaps it's just me but I find saying "where is the Toilet?" offensive. So I'm swapping PJs for my daily attire when PLOP, in go my underwear. What to do? The toilet water was 'fresh' so to speak but I really didn't fancy the idea of carrying around the saturated underwear in my pack until my next load of laundry. Doing laundry as a backpacker is a luxury and it doesn't happen often. Me, I'm just wearing my clothes to death and once they have holes in them, I throw them out. But I have a hard time throwing anything away for fear I may 'need them' one day, so my backpack hasn't gotten any lighter!

Anyhow, I'm on my last full day here in Byron Bay and then it's back to Sydney and the company of my good Scottish friend Ruth (and her floor as my bed). Can't wait :)

2 Comments:

At 8:35 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Leah,
It's Karen (aka Dan's Mom)
I have so enjoyed reading your blog all these months and miss seeing your smiling face at the Y. We look forward to reading all about your adventure when Whitney joins you. You two will have such an adventure! We are off to Mexico, but just for a week with the youngest Geddes boy. Keep on having fun & enjoy the company of your little sister - we will miss her a great deal!
Karen
PS - Your bug stories are freaking me out! I hope Whit can handle all the little critters!

 
At 5:29 p.m., Blogger leah said...

Hi Karen! Nice to hear from you. Have a great time in Mexico- I hope it'll be as bug-free as possible. I spent about 20mins last night with my little sewing kit trying to fix up my ruined backpack. It's not the nicest but it'll suffice for Asia! Take care, Leah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home