Leah's Aussie Experience

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Bit of a catch-up...

I continue to cram heaps of activities into my weekends off here and the last two weekends of February have been no exception. An early start on Feb 11th took us to a koala sanctuary, then onto Kiama (famous for it's blowhole - nothing too spectacular, but nice) and into Jervis Bay. Jervis Bay holds the Guiness Book of World Record for the whitest sand beaches in the world. Nice day trip, eh? I easily forgot my horrendous week at work after seeing that! We hopped onto a dolphin watching cruise and spotted a measly 2 in 3 hours, but enjoyed the boat-ride nonetheless.

Sunday the 12th I went to the Cricket game here with 5 fellow O.R. nurses. Since when have they made sporting events into 8 HOUR marathons? I only lasted for half of it but thought that 4 hours was a decent effort. No clue how the scoring works but I did manage to pick up the fact that Australia beat Sri Lanka.

On Feb 15th I went to the Blue Mountains...2 hours West of Sydney. I had a random day off because of the 40hr work weeks. However, because we went to the 'Slip Inn' lounge/bar for V-day and stayed until the wee hours the night before, I managed only 4 hours of sleep before embarking on this major excursion and a 4 hour hike once there to boot! However, as evidenced by the photo below, well worth the journey.


Leura Cascades in the Blue Mountains - how gorgeous is that?

Saturday of this past weekend was scorching hot. I realize it dropped to -39C back home but it was probably +39C here with the humidity. We shopped, ate, and lounged at the beach. Ruth (Scotland) & I were both successful in our hunts for dresses for the 'ball' we are going to this coming weekend at Luna Park.

Saturday night, we headed out into Paddington, a trendy area here we hadn't ventured into yet. Ended up parking ourselves outside Gloria Jeans- a coffee chain with stores all over the place here, but this one is on Oxford Street (predominantly gay area and site of the Mardi Gras Gay & Lesbian Pride Parade March 4th) and the people watching was ridiculously good. We spent a solid 30mins watching a group of men park their THREE ferraris back to back, right in front of the coffee shop. It must have been exhausting work, what with all that simulataneous revving of engines and such, because once it was completed, they all went in for...you guessed it- a coffee. Needed a little pick me up after all that strenuous parallel parking.



Sunday, a fellow Calgarian and I headed out to Manly, making it my third trip out there but the 1st successful time I managed to actually do the 4 hour scenic walk. The first two times I was simply too distracted by the fabulous markets and wanting to spend time on the beach. Despite the heat yesterday, it was a beautiful hike and we only encountered a few small lizards along the way (which I'm totally fine with now).

2 Comments:

At 8:25 a.m., Blogger The Experience said...

Sounds like you're having a great time! Definitely more fun than I had on my Family Day long weekend.

 
At 10:51 p.m., Blogger leah said...

It was 'ok.' Just kidding. I've been told to get ready to erase all my waterfall pics once I get to New Zealand...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home