Weekend Update

The Domain: we had quite a good spot because there were hordes of people still behind us!
Weekend in review...
Friday Night - headed down to the Moonlight Cinema (ie. the walk-in movie theater) to watch the all time classic Grease with a fellow Albertan. We Canadians DO tend to stick together is what I've discovered here. Had thee most enjoyable Grease viewing experience of my life, complete with bean bag loungers, wine, and of course, chips. Australians really know how to do movies right. The entire audience sang along, danced, and enthusiastically clapped and cheered as though we were watching a live performance of the historic movie. To most, this sounds like your worst nightmare but for me, it was an absolute dream come true. Right up there with Celine Dion in Vegas. (well, obviously not quite but damn close).
Saturday Night - booked it down to the Domain, a large outdoor venue for the free Jazz concert after working a weekend shift. Finished work with an interesting eye case in which neither I, nor the scrub nurse, knew what the hell we were doing. Let's just say I'm glad the Lougheed is not the designated eye hospital for Calgary. Joined throngs of people who had camped out for hourse prior to the 8pm start for a patch of grass. Was given champagne complete with a strawberry from our neighbours on the grass who were celebrating one of their 30th birthdays. It was off to a good start. By the end of the 2 1/2 hours of New Orleans Jazz, the entire audience was up on their feet singing (ohhhhh when the saints, goooooo marching in) and dancing. The constant drizzling accompanied by fierce winds didn't dampen our spirits - no pun intended.
Sunday Night - Pancakes on the Rocks. The most delicious breakfast I've had since I landed. Macadamia Madness. The name says it all. We waddled out of this historic Sydney area on the harbour and toured the markets and free Art Gallery. It was your typical Art Gallery, meaning $22 000 for a painting that my cousin's toddler could have done a better job on. Over to Tumbalong Park and parked ourselves down with a picnic feast for the final concert of the weekend...Concert of Fire. Family friendly fun. Well! This French troupe came out in a blaze of glory, quite literally. I have never seen a fireworks show like this in my life! We all looked at one another, aghast at the sheer volume of fireworks going off in the sky. Oh, and it poured. We all had white ponchos on and I must have sat on an entire cockroach colony because by 2am last night, I had exterminated my entire room. This is coming from someone who is afraid to kill a mosquito because they look 'gross.' I slaughtered at least 8 of the creatures and then sprayed every surface with Finesse Hairspray. The things you do when your Dad isn't around to save you from insects.
Next up? Australia Day, January 26th. We're anticipating the Ferrython, which are decorated ferry's racing to the finish line (albeit slowly), a Tall Ships race, and a Parade - on water, of course. Oh, and another round of fireworks said to rival New Year's Eve.

3 Comments:
What a fantastic Blog!! Brings back so many memories of when I was in Aussie back in '94/'95. The Bondi Beach (that's where I lived and worked) photo on Xmas day is neat to see. It rained the year I was there and the beach was deserted - a good thing considering I was workinig the Gelato shop that day!
"LUCKYYYYYY"
It's so dry here that my lips hurt real bad :)
Love Whit
Alanis - I think I've had gelato from that very shop! I've been quite lucky that the weather has cooperated with me, especially since I'm only here once and won't be around for another x-mas. Glad you can re-live what I'm sure are fond memories through these pics. It's fabulous. I truly love it.
Whitbomb: I wish I could brag that it was sunny/warm right now but it's raining and I'm wearing my raincoat but that STILL sounds better than dry skin and chapped lips.
Post a Comment
<< Home