Leah's Aussie Experience

Sunday, December 11, 2005

What is it?


Taronga Zoo
This is what my new Irish friend & I found ourselves saying today at the Taronga Zoo. Zoo's are a tricky place and require an unexpected amount of patience. Everyone crowds around a display anxiously peering in, so you follow suit, except you don't have a clue what you're looking for or at, for that matter! It's utterly exhausting after a day of it. Did manage to catch a few koalas and kangaroos, which were the highlight for me. They also had an incredible bird show and I turned to see where my friend was just in time to see him duck for cover- they have them trained to fly VERY close over the audience. Impressive but deadly. My one and only experience with birds flying dangerously close to my head was when I was just wee and it was myself, my little sister, and a nest in our yard. Being the older sibling, I of course sent her out to 'investigate' first and gladly opened the door to our kitchen so that she could come flying in when the bird attacked her (as expected).
Monday Morning
This morning I was greeted by a large, drunken Englishman wearing tighty whities and huge dark sunglasses. He sauntered into my dorm around 10am as though he owned the place. Quite entertaining actually. He and his blokes hadn't yet been to bed. Lucky for me, his visit coincided with my first Australian Bug Adventure. I'm assuming it was a cockroach, but whatever it was, it was horrific. I asked my shy, quiet, Korean roommate if she wouldn't mind killing it but by the time we got organized enough to go about our mission, it was on the ceiling. Then we made a crucial mistake. She tried to kill it but missed. Now the bug is not dead and is missing in action. When we noticed it again, we summoned drunken Englishman back into our room who put on quite a spectacle killing the bug for us and went on his merry way. Note: new info on cockroaches. Apparently they have some sort of 'sixth sense' when they are being killed and release their eggs so in order to completely finish them off you must BURN them. This takes killing a bug to a whole new level. I'm sure I'll absolutely die when I go into the outback~

6 Comments:

At 9:06 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

LP - sounds like you are having a blast. I'm sitting here from 9 am -> 11 pm studying like crazy! I am really enjoying your blogs, they are a great distraction! Anyways, have a super day and hang in there, I know you miss me lots.
Whitbomb

 
At 3:39 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leah,

Query tighty whities?

"D"

 
At 3:43 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

LP,

Panic Pete doesn't know what tighty whities are either....

W

 
At 3:26 a.m., Blogger leah said...

Whitbomb, obviously I am dying over here without you. Maybe you should join big sis M on a trip out here?

Panic Pete - tighty whities aka boxer briefs.

 
At 1:16 p.m., Blogger The Experience said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:48 p.m., Blogger leah said...

hmmm, the end of the story disappeared. I fixed it though :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home