Leah's Aussie Experience

Friday, December 09, 2005

Hilary Swank

Vancouver: I've managed to evade the esteemed individuals we have working at the US customs. As it stands right now, I have exactly 1 contraband apple and 1 christmas orange in my carry on. Unless an astute airline employee happens to catch a glimpse of the mint green wrapper from my orange, I'm essentially home free. I feel like this feat is entitled to me b/c unfailingly I am stopped at every airport, searched by airline workers whose navy uniforms may as well have been sprayed on - and then allowed to proceed. Every. Single. Time.

Los Angelos: A mere 45 mins is all it took to get ready for flight #3/3. Momentary panic when I was told my AUS electronic Visa wasn't showing up but this was shortly resolved. Flights #1 & 2 were unremarkable. I did happen to have a nice, young man from Vancouver sit next to me for flight #2. Turns out he's an investment banker so I dazzled him with my knowledge of such matters. Namely, bits and pieces I've picked up from my Dad & witnessing first-hand the crazy hours my sister's boyfriend once worked. "However," I told him, "when you work out your hourly," "it's about $4/hr" he finished.
With 4 hours of time to meander away here, I've bought myself a Gingerbread Latte at the exorbitant price of $4US. I'm certain this gives me permission to nurse it for hours, all the while occupying a highly coveted seat and table for four. Plus, the motion of bringing the cup to and from my mouth is sure to occupy me for awhile.

Sydney: I felt like my fellow passengers and I bonded on this flight over our shared dread of the impending 14 hour flight that loomed ahead. Luckily for me, my sleep aid whisked me off to sleep, albeit not a comfortable one, but one that passed 8 hours of flying time nonetheless. The Irish couple beside me were clearly envious in the morning.
Once I settled into my hostel for the wknd, I wandered around and had an 'aha' moment when I saw the Opera house peering out in the distance. It was wonderful. The weather was great, the people watching was exceptional...then crippling GI cramps took over and I feared my old friend salmonella was back. I'm still not sure what happened but I'm now a'ok. Very much looking fwd to starting work early next wk and settling into the nursing accomodation. Tomorrow I think I'll hit up Coogee Beach and do this 'coastal walk' which takes 2 hours but ends at Bondi. It should be good. Miss you all!

2 Comments:

At 1:44 p.m., Blogger The Experience said...

Hillary Swank? I'm lost.

 
At 6:12 p.m., Blogger leah said...

There was a huge thing in the news a while back with her leaving New Zealand with a piece of contraband fruit- not allowed through customs. It went to court and everything...and she lost.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home